Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 10 - Rest before the 9-er

Today is a day of rest and not having to get up early this morning for a run was a nice break. I've mapped out my 9 miler but its supposed to be in the 90s tomorrow. I think if I get up early enough, I can get my run in before it gets really hot out but thanks to one of my friends I have "day-mares" of suffering heat stroke and collapsing. This dear friend warned me of the dangers of running outside and also graciously provided a frightening story of running in the heat gone bad. Her husband's coworker, also a runner, was out running a couple weeks ago in the heat and collapsed forward. She broke her nose and front teeth and was HOSPITALIZED!!! Thanks to this story, I have "day-mares" of falling face first into the pavement and experiencing this for myself first hand. I do not need any sort of emergency trip to the hospital or dentist right now.

Soooo...having this story in the back of my head and having images of my face and teeth (which my mother likes to remind me frequently that she invested a lot of money into) mangled, I'm not sure if running outside is the smartest idea. I think as of now, I will plan to get up at 7am (not ideal for a Saturday) and see how the humidity is. If its not so bad, I think I'll give it a try otherwise I'll be the disgruntled blond running for a long time on a treadmill at my local New York Sports Club.....

No comments:

Post a Comment