Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Seven Miles and a Sunrise

Wednesday morning, I had to rise and SHINE earlier than my previous morning runs. Yesterday, I embarked in a 7 miler before work. A challenge? Yes. Terrible? No. I got out of bed and fuzzily made it to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. Not being hungry but knowing I would need something to help fuel myself I painfully ate/slurped/not sure what its called, some Gu. I don't know if the first time I took it, I was so in tune with my run that the consistency or taste didn't bother me but yesterday it bothered me. It was reminiscent of my toddler days and being forced to take medicine that I preferred to spit out on my mother's glasses rather than ingest. Although it was gag-force inducing, I do believe it helped me along so I'll just have to chalk it off as one of the many things I will have to "grin and bear"(reference, water belt). Then I popped some advil (helps avoid inflammation), drank some coconut water (hydration people!) and then got dressed. I felt good as I began my run. The humidity from the day before had let up and it was a nice morning. Another treat was that because it was 6:15, the sun hadn't fully risen yet. As I waited at the light to cross West St to get to the Hudson River Path, I looked up and saw the sun starting to poke up. Its so cool when you are awake for things that you normally sleep through.

My run was long but not horribly long and it seemed to go by kind of fast now that I think back to it. My mind usually wanders and thinks about things going on personally as well as preparing for what I have to get done at work. If I'm not thinking about something, I'm paying attention to my tunes which sometimes gives me an extra kick.

At the end of the day, I wasn't as tired as I thought I'd be and still had energy to clean my apartment, pack and have a friend over for some wine and yummy cheese. My packing is for this weekend, I have my best friend from college's wedding up in Maine. I leave NYC this evening and make a quick pitstop with my mom. It is from home that I will embark on the longest run of my life, 14 miles. I decided to move it to Friday so that on the day of the wedding I can be on my "A game" as her Maid of Honor. So today, being Thursday, the day before my long run of the week, I am "resting" (not sure how much rest I'll get between my last minute errands and my train ride but I'll try).

I will be bringing my computer along so I hope to be able to update you tomorrow on how the 14 miles goes. I'm a lil' nervous but I can do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment