Monday, August 9, 2010

Last four days were a flash....

I apologize, I have been offline for the last four days but I will lump them into one posting...


Friday, 12 miles, bim, bam, boom, done! I wish it was as easy as I just described though.... I headed to the Upper East Side to run it out in Central Park. Traditionally I start out going north in the park but on Friday I thought it would be a "good idea" to "mix it up" and go the other way thinking it was easier....I was WRONG. The way I went definitely brought harder hills than I remembered and when you are doing a hilly 6 mile loop not just once but TWICE, it really takes a toll on you. My first loop went pretty well but when I was almost done, I wasn't exactly "rearing" to do it again but I kept on. Around mile 8 or 9 I decided to try out "GU" for the first time. I had heard that it was helpful on long runs and I am happy to confirm the accuracy of the rumors. Once I "Gu'd it," it was amazing how much it was like a swift kick in the behind to help me finish my 12 miles. My run lasted about an hour and 47 minutes, not the best but not the worst amount of time.


Saturday. Early morning rise to get to here....HEAVEN. I got a ride with my cousin and her hubby to head from NYC to Wellfleet, MA to meet up with the Kelley Clan for a weekend of awesomeness. There were about 15 of us and to say it was fantastically fun only barely scratches the surface (the getting there and back not as much since it took 6 and 1/2 hours to get there and around 5 and 1/2 to 6 hours to get back, but oh well!). Regardless, when you combine my family and beach, it is my heaven. Once we all arrived on Saturday we got to the beach, chilled out, had some brewskis, some snacks and caught up. Then my Uncle Bob got antsy and rallied us all off the beach to head to dinner. After dinner we hit the tavern near where a bunch of us were staying and were treated to my Uncle Bob singing a couple songs with the piano.



Sunday. A bunch of us stayed in a Bed and Breakfast. The room I had shared a bathroom with my (other cousin) and her hubby....around 7:45am I hear a lil' knock and then "Cousin? Are you alive?" Having slept like a babe, I opened my eyes and had to take a second to remember where I was. Once I came to, we got dressed, grabbed our continental breakfast, hit Dunkin' D's and met up with the rest of the fam. My cousin Brian participated in his second Pan-Mass Challenge (A 192 mile bike ride from Sturbridge, MA to Provincetown, MA in I believe 2 days....I'm not the only crazy person in my fam ;-) this weekend so the whole Clan headed to a rest stop set up in Wellfleet to see how he was doing and support him. After that we all kinda did our own thing but "Three's Company" (name given to myself, cousin and her husband) hit the beach. Around 3 pm, the Clan came down to join us and happy hour "beach side" recommenced. After a few hours it was dinner time again followed up with bar. By Monday morning, I was tired as a rag doll.



Monday, ride back. Upon getting home, post awesome weekend blues settled in...Aside from my long run on Friday, I didn't really get too much exercise aside from the carting of the coolers and chairs up and down the beach. I was "on vacation" more or less so it is to be understood that workouts are tough to get in. I won't get down about it and just make sure I get my planned runs in for the week. No matter what, it was WORTH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment