Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sneakers made by Satan himself...


As I'm sure you can pick up from the title, my 8 mile run last night did not go well...AT. ALL. I tried giving the godforsaken sneakers a real shot but they took my hopes and dreams, squashed them and then mangled my foot in one full swoop. Yes my friends, these sneakers could only have been constructed by Satan himself to squash my optimism as I continue through week 11 of my training.

Last night I didn't even have an ounce of desire to run, let alone 8 miles but when I thought of the consequences and that it could put me back a little bit as I work towards 18 miles on Saturday, I decided to suck it up and get out there. My first mile was fine and it was actually a really nice night, so I was glad I snapped out of my funk. Then the pain struck after mile 1 and didn't let up, not even a little bit, the remaining 7 miles. I kept thinking, "okay, any minute the pain will subside and I'll be okay," but no, that never happened. Around mile 4 or 5 I stopped to loosen the laces on my right foot and that helped for a short time but once I got toward the last 3/4s of a mile to the finish, the pain grew so intense that I was almost in tears and just gave up running. I walked the rest of the way home in pure anger and frustration. I wanted to throw things, I wanted to scream. This is the last thing I need to deal with in my training. All I need is new cushiony sneaks, is that really too much to ask???

So this morning, I called Saucony customer service and asked what the deal is with the new Progrid Triumph 7. Apparently the new arch support added to the model has caused more pressure in the toe...AHHH HAAAA!!!! I am NOT crazy and there isn't anything wrong with my foot! I await some sort of email verifying this construction change so that when I go to return my 2nd pair, the manager of City Sports won't hold me accountable for this discomfort. I even have other Saucony models to try in replacement. I hope that one of the different models treat my feet with decency and respect and help me along the remaining weeks of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment