Monday, September 27, 2010

13 miles, a piece of cake, best dose of medicine and a Pats win :)

This past weekend I did my long run (which dropped down to 13 miles to thankfully give me a break after 18 the week before) at home. I mapped it out ahead of time on mapmyrun.com and was ready as ever when I woke up Saturday morning. My mom is the best and made sure I had all the things I requested to prep me for the run and help me recover post run. I had my usual toast with PB and banana with a Green Tea and coconut water. Then I got dressed and ready and was out the door. The way I had the run broken out was one short loop then a big loop. The first loop went well but I wasn't pleased that the heat and humidity had returned this weekend. On the second loop I had a Gu around mile 7 and was starting to run low on water...CRAP. I didn't want to bother the old men at the car repair shop that I had hit up for some water the last time I was home and ran my 14 miler so I popped into a 7/11 looking for a water fountain...no dice. I continued on and with about 2 miles left I went into a slight panic mode because one of the things I hate the most is feeling thirsty without any relief in site. I took a chance on a small mom and pop place hoping they'd have water. A guy that barely spoke English did not understand me when I asked if there was a water fountain to fill my water bottle with. He did understand "water" and pointed to the bottled water in the fridges behind me but I had no money and god forbid he help help a sister out! Frustrated I settled on just getting the run finished. I made it the rest of the way and couldn't wait to get water at home. As soon as I walked in the door and into the kitchen my mom was right there eyeing me as if she was waiting me to keel over! I gulped down the ice cold smart water in the fridge and began stretching. After showering I put my legs up for 20 minutes to help relieve the lactic acid build up while my mom and I chatted. It was nice to get some time with my mom.

Later we went to my cousin's baby shower (my reason for being home). It was so great to see my family and celebrate my cousin preggers with twins! After the rough week I had last week, it was great to see the fam, they were exactly what the doctor ordered. I have to give my other cousin a shout out for getting one of the most scrumptious cakes for the shower! The picture posted is not nearly as enticing as this cake was on Saturday.

The family saturated weekend continued with heading into the city with my mom, sister and aunt for some shopping at Lord and Taylor then a lil' bite to eat and some Stellas. After that I got to have some quality time with my sister at her apartment. We hadn't had some one on one time in a long time so it was great to get caught up and talk about everything and anything.
Sunday it was more family funness, this time brunch with my dad. My globe trotting father just returned from a trip to Amsterdam and Paris. He filled both my sister and I in on his travels as we sat and froze our butts off (we ate outside and the temperature dramatically dropped between the time my sister and I went for our morning walk and brunch). After that we headed to watch the Pats vs the Bills. I honestly think the fact that the Pats lost last week started things off on the wrong foot causing the whole week to go downhill...Luckily for me and the Pats, they pulled out a W.

All in all, it was a busy weekend but a great weekend. I needed a break from the crazy running (13 miles doesn't seem as crazy anymore...sick!) as well as NYC. I am back to feeling like myself again and soon more rejuvenated once I get my back massage after work tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment