Monday, September 13, 2010

17 miles and then some...

I am ECSTATIC to report that my previously much dreaded 17 mile run was an absolute success! Not only did I finish, I did it in 2 hours and 35 minutes (9:12 avg minute) and only stopped once to refill my water bottle. I totally feel that after Saturday, I'm back on track to where I need to be and the horrendous 15 mile run I endured is behind me. I am really happy that all of my preparation last week paid off on the big day. Between my hilly runs in the park, yoga and making more of an effort to eat nutritious "fuel" foods, I think I'm on to something. Friday night, I cooked for the first time in ages (I hope that didn't cause you to fall of your chair in shock) a healthy meal of whole wheat pasta with chicken, garlic, cherry tomatoes and asparagus. It was DE-LISH if I must say so for myself. Then Saturday morning, pre-run I took a fellow marathon runner in training's advice to have toast with PB and banana.

When I started out on Saturday I was feeling well hydrated and "fueled." I previously mapped out my run by basically keeping my usual 7 miler to start and then adding 10 by going up the West Side along the Hudson then back down. I think that by staying on a constant route, not having to deal with any intersections or starting/stopping definitely helped my cause as well. Saturday was a rather somber day for NYC as it was the 9th Anniversary of 9/11. Aside from the extra NYPD detail along Hudson by Wall Street, I didn't feel like New Yorkers let it ruin the beautiful day it was outside. There were plenty of people out running, walking, biking, soaking up the gorgeous morning. As I made my way through the second half, onto the 10 mile section, I was feeling pretty good. Conveniently there were people promoting Power Bar's new "gel" right at my 7 mile mark and I gladly accepted it! As I made my way north up the Hudson, I rationed my water (so I wouldn't have to stop to refill) but still kept hydrated so my mouth wasn't dried out. I made it all the way up to 110th Street and then turned around to head back downtown and home. This was a mile 12 marker and I was feeling good! I didn't feel too tired, I wasn't feeling dehydrated and I thought to myself, "You're going to do this today." Around mile 13 or 14 I took another "Gu" to keep my energy up. I gradually made my way down and when I passed by the Intrepid, I had a smooth 30 more blocks to finish. I stopped around 34th street just to fill up one of my bottles so I would have some water as I walked the last block home. When I made it to the end and I felt like throwing my arms up victoriously. I not only showed 15 miles who's boss, I kicked it while it was down and threw another 2 miles on top of it!

The rest of my Saturday was spent mostly on the couch with my legs up and me drinking TONS of water. I was definitely sore and completely wiped out. Its only natural though since its not really normal for a person to run for two and 1/2 plus hours. I did manage to get myself together later to meet my cousin out for dinner that night but that was about all and I was completely okay with it (hard to imagine since I traditionally love to tear it up on Saturdays).
Sunday was officially my Funday but with some limitation....I woke up and got 35 minutes in on the Elliptical which I really needed to stretch out my tense muscles. Then I got showered and dressed to watch the Pats game at 1pm. I went to my fave Pats bar here in the city and joined my fellow fanatics for some beer guzzling, referee cursing funness. The Pats kicked off the season just beautifully by crushing the Bengals 38 to 24 making me a VERY happy woman :-)

So that is the latest and greatest. I think tonight I may do a lil' Yoga at home but I plan to just enjoy the day of "rest" from training. Tomorrow is a 5-er which I totally have! Can't wait in fact! Bring it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment