Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Running with the Nugget and learning how to end a 10 year relationship...

Last evening I had a running buddy for the first time in my training. My beloved Nugget emailed me earlier in the day to ask what I was doing for a run and if she could join me. She doesn't live far from me so she pedalled her lil' Nugget legs over and met me around 6:30 for a jaunt along the Hudson. It was lovely to have a lil' partner to chat with and we also hadn't seen each other in awhile so it was good to catch up with whats going on in her lil' Nugget world. Since she hadn't been running in awhile she sent me off to finish the remain the 3 miles of my run. I was feeling really good since I hadn't run since the 18 and these "shorter" runs I tend to pick up the speed.

Now onto my reallll and never ending dilemma; the sneakers. I ran in the new Saucony's last Thursday and again last night. Thursday they hurt me, not nearly as severe as the previous pain but they hurt. Then last night, it was the same thing again. Having been a DEVOTED and LOYAL Saucony customer for 10 years now, I kept thinking that when the sneakers didn't hurt they felt pretty good. Maybe with some time they'll be better.... Then I realized I sounded like someone in an abusive relationship!

Before getting home last night, I went to City Sports to try on different brands in models suggested by an online customer service rep that unfortunately for her, had to break the news to me that the pair of Saucony Progrid Triumph 6's that I ordered online were not in fact in stock and I was S.O.L. I tried on a pair of Asics Gel Nimbus. They felt like fluffy clouds supporting my feet as if they were molded specifically made for me. I felt as though this was the "drink meet and greet" with a possible suitor to replace my existing and now abusive relationship. These sneakers were like the "nice guy" that could be so much better to me if I could just forget the length of time I've tolerated the current and abusive guy. They could be the shoes to support me in the ways I need but also allow me to be me, the runner that I truly can be.

So, although I am heartbroken that I am going to have to break up with Saucony after a once really great relationship of 10 years, it appears that the writing is on the wall. Saucony has changed its shoes in ways that no longer "work" for me. We had a great "run" in our relationship and I shall miss them dearly but I'm on to bigger and better things and they are just not the guy, I mean shoes, that will help me make it to the finish line on November 7th....

No comments:

Post a Comment