Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I'm a knotty girl...

Monday night, after work, I indulged in a MUCH needed massage. During my run on Saturday I could feel the knotted muscles so heavily in my back I wonder if I was actually running slightly slanted. By the time Monday had rolled around, I felt like there were more knots in my back than there were on a frickin' sailboat! I immediately booked an appointment with a place recommended by one of my friends who frequently gets massages and was slightly thrown off when I arrived. It was not one of the glamorous NY type places, it was a lil' more "rustic" for lack of a better word. There were basically sheets hanging between the 3 massage tables...I apprehensively disrobed and jumped under the blanket. My masseuse came in and immediately got to work. Without any delay, she utters, "you knotty, knotty....very tense." "Uhh, yeah, " I replied. Our striking conversation excluded she became my best friend. She was determined to relieve me of such pain. She even got on top of me twice to push the bad boys out of my back. There were times that she was massaging so roughly with her forearm I was tempted to cheer her on with "Oh yeah, work it, show that knot whose BOSS!" I didn't though....

Tuesday my "knotty-ness" continued because I skipped a run. Yes my friends, after 12 weeks of never missing a run, I opted to skip it last night in the week before my 20 miles. I will probably regret the decision but it was for work. All my colleagues were going to dinner and I did not want to exclude myself and possibly miss anything important. The dinner was rather uneventful aside from being a total salt fest but I felt better safe than sorry.

Today, Wednesday, I have yet another work dinner. Deciding to be better disciplined, I woke up this morning and instead of doing 5 miles, I decided to throw in an extra mile making it 6. I felt guilty for last night but didn't have time to do more. I'm happy to report that my sneakers didn't absolutely kill too. My feet felt mostly numb with some pain in the end but in my mind, this is improvement. I'm trying to stay positive....I think I owe it to myself after my "debbie downer" kind of a week last week.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! Yes, rustic would describe it. NOT a glamorous place at all but they get it done!

    ReplyDelete