Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where I've been all week....

I wish I could say that my lack of updating you on my training journey was because I was out and about doing something really really RIDICULOUSLY fun BUT I can't... Nope, I have been alternating my time between my couch and bed feeling like death warmed over then run over by a mack truck since Wednesday.

I started to feel "off" on Tuesday evening when I got home from the running store with my SIXTH pair of running sneakers. I tried to duck and hide from the sick storm by downing airborne and vitamin drinks but when I woke up Wednesday morning, my usual "tricks" had failed me and I was forced to call out sick. I went to the doctor, we discussed my symptoms then she took my temperature. "Wait a minute, let me take that again." "Why? What was it?" I asked. "104." "Well I feel pretty hot right now and NOT in a good way.." I responded. Turned out that I had a temp of between 103 and 104. She gave me a prescription to kill the fever and whatever else I seemed to have that knocked me on my back for three days straight.

Even after she told me I couldn't go back to work for the rest of the week, the more important question was, "When can I run again?" I can honestly say she looked at me as though I had 3 heads but I was serious. Yes, I understand I had a fever and could barely keep my eyes open that day but I was sure my body would be resilient and I would be back to myself by Thursday. She gave me until Sunday and she was right to say that. It is now Saturday and I am just starting to feel like a normal human being again.

So in the last few weeks of my training (which doesn't even really feel like training since I've been doing more resting than running) I have had quite the hurdles to get over. First it was the shin splints, now its getting so sick I just wanted my mom to take care of me. As frustrating as these things have been I'm not going to give up or throw the towel in. I can do it, I know I can do it. So here's to my last week of training (I get teary eyed just typing that)!

No comments:

Post a Comment